Rock Bottom

I don’t even know where to start.  I am going to keep it as real as possible.  Yesterday’s game was completely and totally embarrassing.  Over the past fifteen years since the blood in my veins was Husker red, I have never been more disappointed by the performance of our team.  How in the world does anybody who puts a red N on the side of their helmet let a team from the immediate south put up 76 points on them over the course of a game?  I don’t care if they cloned Gale Sayers and John Riggins, the Jayhawks should never have their way with the Huskers the way they did on Saturday.  I sat on my couch and could not believe what I was witnessing.  Give some credit to Kansas, they are a much improved team and they play well together.  Their QB is a good football player and he is completely in charge of his team on the field.  But what happened Saturday is inexcusable.

There has to be changes made, no questions about it.  Personnel, staff, you name it, they have had opportunity after opportunity to get their act together and get things going and it just gets progressively worse.  We lack intensity, explosiveness, chemistry and most of all pride.  Kansas could have scored 90 if they didn’t feel sorry for us.  I cannot believe how far this program has fallen.  Mediocrity, that’s funny, we passed that exit about 119 miles ago.  It is probably easier for me to write the things that we did well rather than the areas we did poorly.  I thought Joe Ganz did a decent job yesterday for his first start at the Division 1 level.  He made some poor decisions in the second half but that was a result of him being backed into a corner where he had to force some throws.  He showed some toughness and just think what he can do in an offense that uses a running game.  39 points should be enough to win most times, actually I am wrong; we needed 41 to beat Ball State.  To have a great team you need all the players and coaches to have the same goals, expectations and work ethic, we obviously don’t have that.  It’s sad when one guy is doing everything he can to help his team both on and off the field but the guy he plays next to doesn’t have that same dedication.

The defense was bad, we couldn’t cover anybody and we couldn’t get to the QB.  Same story all year long.  Somebody want to get off a block?  I scratch my head wondering “is it the kids, or are they not teaching them these things in practice”.  It’s the same mistakes over and over and over again.  We are slow on defense; I don’t think anyone can argue that. I have been saying all year guys are playing out of position.  We have defensive tackles playing defensive end, linebackers that should be ends; we’re too big and slow.
Where are all the true freshman running down on kick-off team?  Terrible day on special teams.  Makes it tough on your defense when you start a series on your own half of the field, all day long!  Makes me sick, the whole thing. Still can’t figure out how to stop the read-option.  After KU put up 60, why not put in some of the freshman that have had a year taken away from them.  If you’re going to burn their redshirt, might as well get them some real game time.

I want to hear what you guys think.  Where did this whole Callahan era go wrong?  Who should be the next coach of the Huskers?  Should Cally get one more year?  Also if there are topics you would like me to hit on that I haven’t covered as of yet, let me know.  Sometimes I feel that I am writing the same material over and over again, it just so happens we play at the same level all the time.  Ok, I’ll get back to you guys in the next couple of days, hang in there, everything will get better!

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments
Page: 1 of 3
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 10:21 AM Russ wrote:
    Jason, comment on how role players like a Jeff Ogard during your time at Nebraska played a part in the success of Husker football. It seems to me that we have to many heroes and no one that knows how to play the schemes that are being taught. Someone like Ogard could take up two blockers so it would free up other players to make the play.
    1. Monday, November 05, 2007 9:34 PM Julie wrote:
      One of the most fun segments of The Spread was the day that Dishman & Virgl were guests and you all talked about practices. More of this please!
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 10:26 AM Wilson wrote:
    Couldn't agree more with the idea of letting the freshman and walk-ons play. Anyone with pride in themselves, let alone the program, would do a better job at the moment. The looks on the coachs' faces during gametime is mind numbing.

Turner Gill should be the next head coach. Pelini gets exposed in November every year, so please, people quit calling for Pelini. We need someone with an OC mind. It's much harder for teams to continue success when the OC jumps ship to something better every three to four years, i.e. USC, Oklahoma, etc. It's much easier to bring in a DC and implement schemes then having to overhaul offensive skill positions, termination, etc.

I'd like to hear more about how practices were run during your day. Meetings, focus speeches, how the players took ownership of the team, what everyone did during practice Monday through Thursday, how did Coach Osborne handle adversity with the team, what did he tell you at halftime if he didn't think you were giving enough effort. What are things he'd tell you the night before or right before a game.

Thanks
    1. Monday, November 05, 2007 11:07 AM Alex wrote:
      Agree with this guy...Jason, what do you think of Gill as a head coach? You had experience with him as a player...although he wasn't your position coach, what did you think of him? Keep the blogs coming! GBR
    2. Monday, November 05, 2007 11:11 AM Clikonhusker wrote:

Are you kidding me we just had an OC in Bill Callahan … most OC’s end up being horrible coaches (Norve Turner) !!!! Our defense is so bad unless we have someone with a great defensive mind, its going to take 4-6 years to develop an average defense!

As for Turner Gill … good guy but he’s not ready for the big time. Being an administrator/coach for a MAC team isn’t the same as being a coach for a traditional powerhouse, Big 12 team. Then you throw in the mix of being a former Nebraska All-American QB … too many expectations … under the microscope … too much of a risk at this point! We need someone that’s a proven head coach or proven defensive coordinator with leadership ability … someone that’s able to rally a team, light a fire under his ass
      1. Monday, November 05, 2007 11:22 AM Wilson wrote:
        its going to take 4-6 years to develop an average defense!

hardly
    3. Monday, November 05, 2007 2:27 PM Marcus wrote:
      I agree. I'd absolutely love to hear more about your Husker practices and what Coach Osborne would say to you guys.
    4. Tuesday, November 06, 2007 2:23 AM BMiles wrote:
      No way on Gill, I love the guy and I love what he has done for Neb but just look at his current record in the weakest of all divisions. In addition, there may have been a time a coach like Bo would not have been the man for Neb but be it Bo or someone just like him, Neb has no leaders on the team and they need a high energy coach like Bo or Stoops to come in and light a fire under these guys you know what. Bo rallied a team that was in shock of losing a coach in which they believed they had saved his job, Bo rallied these guys and led them into a bowl game against a very good team and won. The time is now that Neb is in need of a fiery coach that will create an atmosphere where these guys believe they can pound the rock through brick walls and humiliate the most top ranked offense in the nation. Gill has a strong religious belief and is a very kind person, from what I can tell he does not posses that fire that is needed right now,

BMiles
      1. Tuesday, November 06, 2007 9:00 AM Jason Peter wrote:
        I think your right about Nebraska needing a coach who can light a fire in these players.  Would I enjoy playing for a guy who isn't afraid of getting in somebodies face, absolutely but you can be a coach who still motivates your players without getting red in the face.  Check head football coach, Nebraska 1997.  TO was not a high energy guy, but he still knew how to motivate us.  He knew how to connect with us so that we wanted to play for him, we knew he had our back.  Now I'm not saying I think Turner should be the next guy but I feel he deserves to get a look.  If your a head coach and your not a high energy guy, how do you get around that, well you hire assistants that are high energy and let them do all the yelling and screaming;check defensive coordinator,Nebraska 1997.
        1. Tuesday, November 06, 2007 9:26 PM BMiles wrote:
          Jason, I have not really thought of it that way but you are absolutely right in that head coach is really more of a management job than anything. The guys need someone to light the fire, we both agree on this, it doesn't necessarily need to be the head coach who does this but could be the assistants he hire. A good manager determines what is needed to accomplish the goals then fills those needs by surrounding himself with the people who can accomplish those tasks. Perhaps that is where Callahan has gone wrong, he is still trying to be an offensive coordinator and not a manager of the team and its needs. Perhaps he needs to decide what the wants with his life, to be a head coach (manager) or and offensive coordinator.

BMiles
          1. Wednesday, November 07, 2007 10:08 AM Jason Peter wrote:
            Some coaches can do both and some can't.  That becomes a problem with a lot of coordinators turned head coach.  They can't back away enough from the coordinator role.  You're paying somebody to be the coordinator, let him do his job.  If Watson never got the opportunity to call the first half of the A&M game we would still be trying to run that outside zone play with Lucky all day.  That game was when we first started to run in between the tackles and it has opened up so much more for our offense.  JP
        2. Wednesday, November 07, 2007 7:38 PM Russ L wrote:
          Hey Guys, I was reading an article on espn about Turner Gill the other day and guess who his defensive cordinator is? Former Nebraska defensive end Jamie Williams, wow I didn't even know he was in coaching, that is cool.
          Apparently he is doing a heck of a job there at Buffalo too along with Gill.

I don't know much about his coaching s tyle or ablities, but if he's helping to turn around one of the nations worst programs, then he must be doing something right.

He has a few defensive players with top 20 in the nation stats leaders, I don't recall right off hand what positions or catagories, plus the Buffalo quarterbackk is averaging something like 200 something yards apssing per game and the team is around 200 yrds average rushing a game.
          Nice balanced offense, if he can get it done there, he can get it done here
          for sure.

And this is just my opinion, but Turner knows what made things work here.He is a top recruiter, he knows how to look a kid in the eye and say
          come here and play for us. We feel you are a special talent. I won't guarantee you will start,you will have to EARN that, but if you give me all you got, I'll give ya all I got.I will show you how to get the best out of yourself blah blah blah.

I think he has that kind of ability it requires to develop young athletes, to chalenge them, to motivate them to give it everythign they have and then some and at the same time make it the best experience of their life.

I just really feel he can accomplish great things , maybe not overnight, but it wouldn't take long if given the chance.

Do I know it for a fact? Nope, it's just a feeling, but one I have had for
          a long time, even before Solich was fired, I was saying I thought one day Turner will be one heck of good coach.
          I alwasy thought he would be the next after Solich.

I do understand that some think he needs more experience, but sometimes lack of experience can be overcome with
          pure love, joy and enthusiasm for what you are doing.

Coaching is a neverending learning process, it's alwasy on the job learning, and it's not like he could do it all by himself lol. Assistants are the heart of the program, without good assistants you aren't going to win many games.That's why he's my choice, he loves Nebraska as much or more than many of us, he's a good human being, he loves coaching or so it would seem, and he knows as much about what made it all work as anyone does.

I mean does anyone really think he didn't learn anything from Osborne while he played or worked for him?

Everyone seems to talk like Osborne won all those games all by himself, as great a man and coach as he is, he sure as heck didn't do it alone.

I'll support anyone TO puts in place, but personally I am hoping it's Gill.
          Actually, I'd like to see a staff of lots of former players that are all scattered coaching somewhere else or
          currently not coaching anywhere.
          Now that would be cool.Marvin Sanders comes to mind, JP, Scott frost ect
    5. Tuesday, November 06, 2007 9:38 AM Patrick wrote:
      The last thing we need is another Nebraska retread like Turner Gill. That is what got us where we are. Go hire a young,aggressive guy who already has success. The guys at Cincinnati and Wake Forest come to mind.
      1. Tuesday, November 06, 2007 11:43 PM Julie wrote:
        Patrick, how can you refer to Turner as a "retread". SHAME ON YOU! Have you lost your mind? I think so! Even though I am not acquainted with Cincinnati, what's so great about the Wake Forest coach? Get a grip!
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 10:32 AM Chad wrote:
    I live in Manhattan Beach, CA & I can smell the STENCH all the way out here. I am embaressed by this and past performances - I'm 36 & I've seen 40 losses the last 10 years after seeing 50 in my first 26 years - My dad is so disgusted he refuses to watch the rest of the games. I think Santa Ana Mater Dei would beat us by 3 TD's - make the change and RIGHT THE SHIP.
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 10:48 AM Katrina wrote:
    We only have two more games and one is at home. PLEASE, those of you who have tickets, GO to the game. Do NOT try and send a message by boycotting Memorial Stadium. These players need as much true fan support as they can get during this obvious low point in their academic/athletic careers.

I believe we will see big changes at the end of the season, so now is not the time to kick these guys while they are down.

Jason, one subject I would love for you to comment on: conditioning. It really seemed our players wore down physically very early in the game. (Aside from mentally). I remember in past years we physically wore out the opponent, which did save our bacon on many occasions. Thank you and keep up the good work on the radio and blog.

One last thought.....I would love to hear you do the play-by-play calling on Saturdays!!!! Any chance?????
    1. Monday, November 12, 2007 10:01 PM Julie wrote:
      Jason's broadcasts would be great, but he needs to be COACHING!!
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 10:48 AM Helen wrote:
    JP, I think Coz should be fired and you should be interim DC. There is no chemistry or leadership. I think it begins with the coaches. Other teams are winning with less talent. Now, there is no confidence. I am happy you are back and liking it.
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 10:52 AM hack wrote:
    where did callahan go wrong? cripes, dipped if i know.

the only thing VISIBLY changed from last year is no zac taylor (the man was the heart of the team) and no adam carriker (a true examples of blackshirt pride). also, no john blake.

did blake have that much impact? it's hard to imagine, but maybe he did. the kids seemed to like him and it seemed like he was a good motivator.

but do i know? i'm just a fan.
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 11:19 AM Russ L wrote:
    First off it went wrong when Pederson fired Solich, he may have notbeen Osborne , but he loved the program and would have done whatever he could to keep it strong no matter what it took.

I think our fans expectations got a little out of wack, not that we shouldn't expect hard fought games and lots of wins, but you can't go undefeated every year and you will ocassionaly have a bad loss to a team you should beat...that's just the real world.

To me it's almost disrespectful to have expected Solich to go undefeated and win titles right away..it was disrespectful to the game of football and to the teams and players who DID accomplish those lofty goals.Essentialy people were acting like hey this winning titles and going undefeated and dominating everyone is easy sht, we should be doing this every yr. Please people get real, those things are special and damn hard to accomplish. It's one thing to dream about it as a fan, but EXPECT IT????

Ok in my opinion that's where it got out of wack, peoples egos, brain dead expectations and direspect of current champions thinking it was simple to accomplish.

Then unlike most I didn't feel we needed to make drastic changes like a total offensive system overhaul....because I know how hard the option is to defend and I loved watching it executed at a high level.
    If people would have been patient we would probably have the spread option here now and never missed a beat.
    I know in my heart Turner Gil would have done an excellent job designing plays for the spread.Do you see what he's done at Buffalo, I mean it's Buffalo man...fricken amazing.

The option is especially dangerous when you have a qb that can also throw
    the ball real good, defending the play action pass or option pass is very hard when you have to stop run first.

Callahan turned a physical style team
    into a bunch of girl scouts who would rather be selling cookies in the stands than hitting sommeone on the field.

I remember narrow wins against Pitt who lost to Ohio( yes that one), home loss to miss st lol, and then of course Coz took essentially the same
    defense that was in top 10 the yr before and let texas tech hang 70 on us.That secondary was basicly in tact from the yr before that led the nation in interceptions and the defense led in turnovers and scoring.Great job defensive genius Coz.

That told me all I needed to know back then in '04.Then you get Callahan talking at post game press conferences about how he doesn't yet have the players he needs to have to be successful in his system...excuseme azzwipe, the team you just took over went 10-3 and went to a bowl game fool.

Don't disrespect your hard workign players cuz you can't coach BOY.

Never liked the guy from those first early impressions and attitude, I hoped things would get better, but kind of knew in my heart they would probably get worse.

Things are broke, Luckily they can be fixed as soon as this staff is out.
    1. Tuesday, November 06, 2007 10:09 AM Justin wrote:
      Wow you made me really hate the current regime. I am younger and I needed that perspective. You have to coach the players you have you don't wait! Look at Kansas! Callahan should have implemented a system that fit the players he had. Then he would have had a winning season his first year. Instead he pushed the wrong system on a good football team and destroyed a season. Because he needed his players.
      Now I am convinced he is gone. There's just no way around it.
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 11:21 AM Michael wrote:
    I honestly don't really know what to say.

The NU defense looked like a bunch of junior high students competing out there. I don't mean to be rude, but that's really what it looked like. I have never played football competitively, but I do know good football when I see it. That was NOT good football.

The offense did okay...but I still hate the West Coast Offense. I think it should be changed to something a little simpler so the players can spend more time working on the fundamentals rather than trying to memorize the Offensive Playbook Bible.

Our defense didn't show up at all. That's all there is to it. Apparently, Cosgrove's brilliant defensive strategy was to let KU run up and down the field until they got tired.

The front four can never get any pressure on the QB. If they do it's a miracle. They are big guys...but are too slow to pursue or even get off blocks.

Again, I don't mean to be rude...but the defense absolutely sucks this year. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

I could go on and on about how horrible our team is this year, but it is nothing that hasn't already been driven into the ground with a 30 lb. sledgehammer...and it seems like the only people that aren't getting it are the coaches.

I'm not really sure specifically who should take over the team next year. But I feel it should be someone on the younger side with HC experience, and someone who wants to stay with the program and build it back up from the depths of Hell.

One thing I would like to know is why the "defensive" (word is used loosely) line is always about 1 to 1 1/2 yards off the line of scrimmage. Could you please answer this one JP?

Oh...and I'm tired of hearing the same old story from Callahan. It makes me want to puke. If he thinks he has done "good in all areas" he apparently has not been watching the same football games I have been. Losing by 40 points? Are you kidding me Callahan!? Exactly which areas are we doing good in? Just curious...
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 11:40 AM Russ L wrote:
    I am getting damn tired of listening to idiots know it alls who think they have the right or have enough knowledge to determine if Turner Gil
    is ready or not. He deserves the chance, even if it took him some time to find his stride and get things going...you fools have no respect for
    hard working people like Turner who loves Husker football and would give
    every ounce of his huge heart to being the best we could be. Lol it's not like he is new and just started coaching, plus ..knock knock..hello anyone home?...he did play under one of the best ever and worked under one of the bst ever....do you think he knows and respects what made us the power we were...do you not think he knows how a practice should be run ect, ect...do you not think he has heart and enthusiasm? Damn I am beginning to think maybe Nebraska is full of a bunch of racists or something and that's the real issue with Turner Gil. Either that or you people back home are short bus riding fools.Hmm...maybe something is in the water causing brain damage back home.

If you are neither then quit talking about him not being ready to run a program like Nebraska, let's let others like the one making the descision decide that.

And if he is hired and you morons don't support him I might just come back home and whoop me some asses !

Only someone with passion and love for Nebraska football can turn it around.
    Well maybe someone who just respects what Husker football is about and wants
    to be a part of that, but I believe in loyalty myself.
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 11:40 AM Ryan wrote:
    The problem is that Callahan is running an entire team when he should be simply doing X's and O's and running an offense.

It has always been my opinion that a head coach should be a motivator, and someone that will get up a guy's spine if he is not giving 150% effort. I think you need one guy to focus on play calling and the week to week game plan (the O.C.) and one guy that basically manages all aspects of the team, motivates his players and makes them believe that they are the best team out on that field regardless of who they are playing (the H.C.).

Now obviously I'm not in the locker room, but Callahan almost seems to be an enabler to the outsider...always saying things like "we gave it a good effort" and "the other team was just too tough" and "that's a hard play to stop"...these are all excuses. It's especially tough to watch on the Callahan Show on sunday nights, where he shows absolutely no fire. It's almost like he's accepted this teams fate, and is just going through the motions at this point. If your players sense that, you have lost them and will never get them back.

Now I think Callahan is a good guy. I think he would have been a great hire as an offensive coordinator. But the evidence shows (with the Raiders, and now the Huskers) that he doesn't have the ability to handle a team of personalities and get everyone on the same page.

So who should be coach? I think that is one bright spot that no one has to worry about in Husker Nation. T.O. is going to do it right and take care of business there. I think T.O. has always studied the trends in the current game (even since retirement) and will look at which offenses are successful and which are being run by the winning programs these days. What does that translate to?

The first thing this team needs is speed. Both straight-line speed and football speed. Nothing has been more obvious over the course of this season than our inability to keep up with the opponent and get into position to make plays on defense. Secondly, we need a coach who isn't afraid to hand off play calling duties to an offensive coordinator who can spend 20 hours a day in a film room looking for ways to exploit the other team. That CAN'T be the head coaches duty. There just isn't enough time in the day. I think this will probably turn out to be some type of spread/hybrid offense. A mobile QB who can make a decent amount of throws, get around in the pocket, and keep the defense honest with a read-option game. Chris Peterson comes to mind as a guy who runs this style of offense and has had success on the big stage.

Whatever happens, it needs to be a college guy who understands Nebraska's tradition and what fans expect. It can't be easy to follow the likes of Osborne or even Solich who are native sons. But the way you do if you have to is embrace the history, not completely sacrifice it in the name of your own agenda, which is what Callahan has done.

Sorry for the long message, great job on KFOR
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 11:46 AM oldskewler wrote:
    I personally think that the problem starts and ends with the coach. These players are still learing the game of football. They have to be coached on sheding blocks and making solid tackles. Our players are not in the NFL. Our coaches cannot treat them like they are in the NFL. Back to basics and fundamental.

Kansas is very fundamentally sound. They have great team chemistry and they have been coached well to work as a team in thier system.

I have heard that the practices that Coach Osborne held were hard work. Once some players were drafted into the NFL, did they realize how hard Nebraska pracitces were. Where is that work ethic now?
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 11:52 AM Will Thiel wrote:
    Hi Jason! First of all let me say how great it is having you back in Nebraska! Big Red fans have always loved the intensity with which you and your brother both displayed when you played here! And how you understood the tradition and the pride that goes with being a Nebraska Cornhusker! As a subscriber to your blog I couldn't agree with you more on your take on what's wrong with the program! As you well understand pride and leadership comes from the coaching staff, and that has been sorely missing under Coach Callahan! Kansas should never have been able to hang 76 points on us! I know that Dr.Tom has to be shaking his head at the lack of fire from what was once the premier college football program in the nation! But I feel that he will do the right thing at season's end! Goodbye Bill Callahan! Hello Bo Pelini! God bless you and your family! Thanks again for coming back to live with us! And go Big Red!!
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 12:03 PM wavygravy wrote:
    Heres my coaches wish list, Turner Gill as head coach,Bo as Defensive cordinator,Tom Rathman as Offensive cordinator,Tommie Frazier as quarterback coach, Roger Craig as runningback coach, You Jason as Def. line coach, Will shields as Offensive line coach, Grant Wistrom as linebacker coach, Marvin Sanders as the secondary coach and Matt davison as recievers coach. Sounds good to me, What about you Jason?
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 12:06 PM tyler wrote:
    Jason, I like you don't know where to start and could probably never stop bitching about the game on saturday. What is done is done. Callahan should and will be fired. He has caused the painful demise of a proud and storried husker nation. Run the clock and get out of town with a little respect. This is not the nfl, his its only one game bull is not for college. The major influnce of juco [free agent] players is the biggest problem. They are not dedicated to the program or ready to face big 12 talent. When tom built a team he would occassionly use a juco player to bolster a defense with speed [terell farley] not lean on them to do it all they are just not ready with limited practice time and no concrete leadership in pace to show them the nebraska way. I have noticed that 5 stars means little when you don't care. The classic unhearled nebraska kid that becomes an all american is what nebraska is all about and will soon be again. like Jared Tomich,Joel Mackivicka, and my all time favorite rumblin stumblin Cory Schlesinger 40. Who doyou see as our next coach and some key assistants? I like Pelini hope he can overlook the snub by pederson and give us a hard look. It would also be nice to see a guy like Turner Gill back in lincoln, I hear he isn't ready for a big job like nebraska. How bad could it be, we are going to be patient 76-39 I'm willing to bet he would never let that happen! Have a good one Jason! Hoping for the best!
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 12:11 PM huskerbacker wrote:
    Good to read your article every week. I look forward to a great husker seeing and commenting on what he sees. I can't stand listening and watching to what I am seeing on the big red football field. I wanted Callahan and Cosgrove fired Saturday night! I kept checking on line hoping for something to happen. Nothing.
    Today I read what some seniors where saying today about saving there season. Purify saying he's no quitter. I'm glad nothing was done. After all, it's about the kids on the field.
    Bring back the walk on program so so-called blue chip talent(recruits) can see what a kid with little talent who grew up in Nebraska watching the Huskers play every Saturday, practice his ass off for a chance to get on the field. 3-star Nebraska talent is better than 4-star out of state talent. (It's in the heart, pride, and the gut) It just means more.
    Please keep writing your articles, 55, it helps get me through this season.
    Bring on Pelinni (Head Coach), Turner Gill, or Tom Rathman, 55, and lets set about turning this thing around, 5 seconds after Colorado game.
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 12:17 PM Al wrote:
    Either Gill or Pellini would be excellent choices. Gill's FB philosophy, especially the option, should reflect that of Osborne. Pellini has the fire, which JP can recognize, and the defensive philosophy we so desperately need. By the by, JP, as an English professor at UNL, I can attest that your grammar is fine--just a few common mistakes, which most people make.

Yours
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 12:25 PM ber wrote:
    55-
    I couldn't agree more, you hit the nail on the head. Where did the Callahan era go wrong you ask? Before it even started. Firing Pelini and Sanders were his first mistakes, but then top it off with the hiring of WI Def Co. Kevin Cosgrove...are you kidding me? When has WI ever done anything on defense? I'll tell you when, 2004, the year Cosgrove was no longer coaching for them. We need the fire and Husker pride that few can give us right now. I will support my team no matter what, but I strongly believe that T.O. will not let Callahan destroy any more of what he helped build. I've already circled Nov. 23rd on my calender as 'Bo Pelini Day'. I'm sure he could use you for the D-Line so lets makes sure we throw your name out there when he hits the ground in Lincoln.

Keep the Faith, GO BIG RED FOR LIFE!!!!

ber
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 12:28 PM Michael wrote:
    Where did they go wrong....Callahan and Cosgrove let the emphasis on defense go to the wayside. The offense would work if they didn't have to constantly play catch up by passing play after play. There was one point in the game Sat that they had like 15 or 18 pass plays in a row. Kansas was sitting back waiting for the ball to be in the air to catch it.

The defense, under Cosgrove don't have a clue. Even in the games we won, there were so many missed tackles. Some plays there were 3 or 4 missed tackles before they finally tackled the guy.

My honest opinion though is that the defense is leading to the demise of this team. There is nothing wrong with the offense that a little tweaking couldn't fix...maybe even add some option plays for Ganz to run, I think if Ganz were given a chance he could be good, maybe not a Scott Frost or Turner Gill, but he has the mobility to be good.
    1. Tuesday, November 06, 2007 9:21 AM paul wrote:
      Callahan and Cosgorve has the ring of Leopold and Lobe. What a couple of butchers. They see themselves as doing a great job. If that is not delusional I don't know what is. As for our new Coach, wish list is Kiffen, Rathman, Gill, Saunders, Pelini, not necessarily in that order. I have seen NU games in South Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, Kansas, Cali, Iowa, Florida, Arizona and Nebraska. How ashamed I am of our tackling, coverage and refusal of making a big hit. I heard they don't have contact in practice sounds like pro football to me. we need a coach who will teach players to lay the wood to the opposition. You Say HUSKERS I say POWER FAILURE!!! Thanks 55 sure do miss your work ethics.
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 12:30 PM John wrote:
    Russ L, your last sentence says it all. Coach Osborne was brought in as AD at the right time. As fans, we won't know what broke or how it broke, but something went wrong...real wrong! Who better that TO to help fix it.

Kinda sorry to say: Cal stay (?), no way!! We have been spoiled by too many excellent programs to give this one any more time. Both Devaney and Osborne struggled somewhat in the early years, but they kept moving the right direction. It seemed like great talent was being recruited by Calahan, but game day coaching and motivation just hasn't been there. The selection process will be interesting to watch, but this is when faith in the right people is needed. Jason, they need someone with your energy, perspective, and pride to help lift this group of young athletes out of the pit that has been dug for them. I know that Osborne will make the right choice.

As a devout Husker fan living behind enemy lines in Buff country, I guess I will just have to get used to wearing a CU cap for a few days again this year. I still wear Husker red everywhere and will regardless of W's and L's. I look forward to better days ahead. But this is not about me, nor should it be. Katrina, you are right on target. Fans need to stay strong and stand behind the team. They are the immediate future that any new regime has to build on. I do appreciate the loyalty of other Husker fans across the country and this site helps to give perspective on the year with hope for the years ahead. Like the Colonel says, Keep the faith, everybody!! GBR.
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 12:33 PM Michael wrote:
    My vote for the next coach would be Bo Pelini....I don't think Husker fans would be satisfied unless it is someone that comes from the Husker programs past...another option would be Turner Gill...but I think Pelini would be the person that I would have to vote for.
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 12:38 PM Charles wrote:
    Jason, glad to see you writing, sorry that you don't have anything new to say. Is there anything new to say?. Even us fans have nothing to offer but who we think should be taking over. Hang on, in a few more weeks we'll all have something interesting to talk about.
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 12:43 PM Mark Kyriss wrote:
    Jason, I have enjoyed your comments and listening to you on the radio. I too was absolutely mystified by the ease with which Kansas drove down the field. Drive after drive, there was no answer, enthusiasm, effort or pride. Once again an opposing player will probably be named the Big 12 player of the week. I have somewhat mixed emotions about the offense. On the one hand, they have had their problems as well. But on the other hand, I can see what the right quarterback can do in this system. For Joe Ganz's first start, I thought he did a tremendous job. I was wondering to myself, why hadn't we seen this all year. Unfortunately, we couldn't kick off to ourselves after every score. I have no idea about the new coach, since I really doubt Callahan can have any respect from the fans at this point. Cosgrove appeared to me to be a broken man as he walked off the field. I think he was going to announce his resignation, but Callahan talked him out of it.
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 12:54 PM Bob Schamp wrote:
    You asked where this all went wrong? So many places to point. It started with the hiring of Peterson and the demands of boosters for a more pass oriented offense. Well they got it. Early in the Cally regime they were saying to hold judgment and wait until his recruits are in the system. Well the recruits are all his - the asst coaches (Cosgrove - who couldn't make a defensive game plan to stop a little league team) are all his - the system is all his - the disastrous team performances are all his. If you ask him, he has done an exceptional job. (Maybe for NU opponents, but not for his team.) Therefore everyone else must be the problem. I think we need former players like JP to be at practice replacing the team captains on defense and kick some b###. Maybe start with the (so-called) coaches.
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 1:02 PM brian wrote:
    everyone knows where this program went wrong. steve pederson. i agree with people saying we need someone with husker ties, but does everyone remember when pederson was a recruiting coordinator under TO? he came back to nebraska as AD and look what we have. he took away our tradition and that family feeling we had for the last 40 years. i've never felt like me the "fan" was a part of this program in the last 4 years. i'm not saying all of the people mentioned are not good choices, but people thought bringing in a born and raised former husker in pederson would get things on track. we need to be careful what we ask for. i believe TO will make the right decision.
    my question to you jason is what do you think about rob ryan as a defensive coordinator. the guy was raised on defense, as well as his brother. also how about someone like lane kiffin for a head coach or offensive coordinator. look at his record and compare it to norm chow. i know i'll probablly get raked over the coals for the raiders connection, but oh well. those are a few names not mentioned as of yet who know how to run a defense and offense. plus rob ryan is a maniac on the sidelines. i think he could motivate.
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 1:27 PM Smitt wrote:
    I would give almost anything to be able to throw on a husker helmet and hit somebody in the teeth on saturday. Unfortunately that's not in the cards for me, but to watch these guys go out there and loaf makes me sick. I hate to be too hard on these kids though because I am sure this is very hard on them with so many people telling them they are terrible.

That being said, it almost looks like Callahan is trying to use nebraska as an audition to be an OC in the NFL, or to try and show how he is an offensive genius. Just look at the players we have. We have tons of receivers, running backs, quarter backs, and tight ends.(or H-backs, whatever the hell that is supposed to mean) Then on the definsive side we have no depth. No wonder these guys play so poorly. They are probably trying to save their energy to play the entire game.

Anyway, have you heard any offers about being the DL coach, or at least a motivator? I've heard you on the radio and you would clearly be good at that, and plus you know what it means to be a blackshirt, something these coaches know nothing about.

Great blog and radio show.
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 2:12 PM Jay Kleymann wrote:
    I realize that the structure and culture differs in college vs pro... there may be a line that you just don't cross for a myriad of reasons but I just keep waiting and hoping someone (a player) caught up in this trainwreck will snap, walk out and vent about what is really happening in the program (behind the veil of Cally coach-speak) If these guys simply stopped playing for the staff, there would surely be some disgruntled kid that would speak off record after practice some night. The diagnosis by every former player and armchair coach points out scheme shortcomings that must be obvious to a few current players. You would think they would have come out of the Texas game with a little confidence after the heavy blitzing scheme was fairly effective. Then in preperation for KU they revert to the former read/react scheme... and get humiliated. As a player... when does the doubt and frustration bubble to the surface? On scholarship, maybe you just don't dare risk speaking out... They keep saying they're behind the coaches but how long can so many kids hold that line? Maybe it really isn't the coaches fault... entirely. Osborne never projected a fiery motivator image but you always knew he was passionate and emotional about this game and the kids. McBride and staff seemed to be his counterpoint... providing the fire when fire was called for. This entire staff just seems to lack any semblance of fire and passion. The team absolutely reflects that in it's demeanor as well. There cannot be 85 kids on scholarship without any fire in their belly... maybe it's consuming them because they're unable to release it. If it's eating you up inside, you have to let it out. This is all so surreal it's begun to feel like maybe there is some sort of weird conspiracy involved. Maybe the coach got his extension and now he's gonna get out of "Hillbilly"-North without working a day this fall... Maybe the players are lost, overrated, under-coached or just don't care because half of them are JUCO patches... I can't wait till the whole thing has some light shone on it. When the light does come on, someone involved in this is gonna be scurrying for the shadows. Steve Peterson is there already.
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 2:22 PM barney wrote:
    Jason- you know T O well. Cant' you talk to him about this BS coaching staff? The more I watch other games the more I like the Boise coach Petersen. He has the offense T O likes and that is working well at other schools. Wouldnt' marvin sanders be a great DC for us? I guess most head guys would pick their own though. What do you all think?
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 2:22 PM Marcus wrote:
    Hey Double Nickel,

Thanks for taking the time to keep blogging and let us know your take. It means a lot to the rest of us in Husker Nation to see one of our great players echo our thoughts.

Rest at ease, you aren't posting the same thing over and over.

As for your questions...

I think Callahan went wrong against USC last year. They were winning 28-10 late in the game and we refused to throw a pass. It was obvious to the players and fans that we weren't playing to win. I think that told the players a lot.

Next Coach? I'm in the Pelini camp myself. Barrett Ruud and many other players swear by him, and he seems like the Cowher-type coach who players would run through a wall for. You're a player, so you tell me. Just seems like someone will be happy for making that man a head coach.

Callahan another year? Not a chance in hell. He's on his 4th chance now. He was at 4th and 1 and just fumbled the ball away...
    1. Monday, November 05, 2007 2:51 PM Smitt wrote:
      Good post, but I think we should ban the phrase "Husker Nation". That's a phrase that Peterson started and it needs to go.
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 2:37 PM Tom wrote:
    This season has been one humiliation after another. It's definitely time to clean house.

As far as new coaches, I would favor Brent Venables, the Asst. Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator from Oklahoma or Paul Johnson, the Head Coach from Navy.

Brent Venables is a great game planner, and always puts a top defense on the field. He's a fiery guy, similar to Pelini, but with more class, who can get guys motivated. He knows the Big 12, is an excellent recruiter, and would be a great hire. Plus we could potentially keep Watson for some continuity on offenseand with some bigname recruits like Gabbert.

Paul Johnson is a great offensive mind, who has managed to make Navy into a respectable program. He can work with multiple offensive systems, and is very talented at custom designing an offense to fit the skills of his players. That would be welcome after four years of forcing round pegs into the square holes of this overly complicated and inept offense. Johnson could do wonders with the talent we have on offense, and could kick the defense's ass and make them play with some heart and desire. If Johnson's the guy, we might be able to get someone like Marvin Sander to be the Defensive Coordinator.

So Venables and Johnson are my top two candidates.
  • Monday, November 05, 2007 3:44 PM Scott Lawson wrote:
    Jason- to me a glaring reaosn for what is going on is the obvious lack of strength on both sides of the line of scrimmage- these players are clearly no where near the strength level needed to perform in the NAIA let alone the Big 12. It is painfully obvious that Ostergard's loss is HUGE. I know people sometimes get caught up in weightroom numbers that usually don't mean a whole lot, but I'd like to see some of the performance numbers from this team, I'm betting they are way down compared to years in the past. Who was the off seaosn lifter of the year this year? Exactly, everyone used to know who this was because it was a big deal 10 years ago.

Page: 1 of 3